Having authentic, delicious pizza straight out of a pizza oven is easier than you think! While the art of making pizza that is to YOUR taste may take some practice, the steps to getting there are simple. I like to play around with toppings, seasonings, and sauces to get just the right flavor.
(Scroll to the bottom of the article for the video.)
The Best Wood Fired Pizza
Prep time 5 minutes per pizza
Cook time 3-5 minutes
Yields 4 Pizza’s
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Pizza Peel
- Brush to clean oven
- Something to push the ashes back
- Pizza Pan
- Pizza cutter
- 4 Equal Sized Rolls of your Favorite Pizza Dough
- 2 15oz Cans of Tomato Sauce -or- 1 1/2 24oz Cans of Marinara sauce.
- 2 12oz Cans of Tomato Paste
- 1 lb of Mozzarella
- 1 cup Parmesan
- Pizza Toppings
- Black Pepper
- Garlic seasoning (My favorite is the Spice Islands Organic Garlic & Herb Seasoning)
- Extra Flour
Step 1 – Prep the Oven
- 3 hours before you begin cooking, start a fire in the oven and let it burn down.
- When you are ready to cook push the coals to the edges of the pizza oven, add some small logs, and clean out the ash from the cooking area with a brush.
Step 2 – Build your Pizza
- Roll out your pizza dough so that your crust is around 1/4” thick.
- Make sure the bottom of the dough is generously coated in flour so that it does not stick to the pizza peel or the oven.
- Spread a generous amount of sauce over the crust (I like to spread the sauce all the way to the edge but be careful about spilling under the crust because the sauce gets sticky).
- Add your favorite toppings and season with oregano, fresh ground black pepper, and garlic seasoning to taste.
- I like to top my pizza with parmesan cheese last.
Step 3 – Bake
- Use a pizza peel and swiftly slide it under the pizza so you can lift it from your work station.
- Place the pizza peel on the oven floor, and wiggle the pizza off quickly.
- Every 90 seconds, use the pizza peel to rotate the pizza in the oven.
- After 3-5 minutes (or when the pizza is done how you like it) pull the pizza out and slide it onto a pizza pan to cool for a few minutes.
- Divide pizza with your pizza cutter and enjoy!